Cloudways is one of the few companies that offer a great balance between affordability and great functionality when it comes to cloud-based managed WordPress hosting. Cloudways delivers fully managed to host and promises no more slow-loading WordPress sites and no more WordPress hosting headaches.
Their platform-as-a-service cloud servers come with a fantastic feature set, and you can scale hosting resources as your website grows. Their infrastructure is optimized for speed, performance, and security.
The ideas of choice and freedom to focus on what’s important to the users start right from the moment of server & application launch. With the choice of five IaaS providers (AWS, GCE, DigitalOcean, Vultr, and Linode) and multiple versions of popular applications (including four flavors of WordPress and two of Magento), the users can configure the Cloudways platform to fit their operational requirements and business processes.
The theme continues throughout the platform where users can deploy almost 50+ server and application management operations in a few clicks.
So whether one is an online store, an agency, or a freelance developer with several clients, Cloudways hosting offers the perfect mix of features that help them achieve more out of the managed hosting solution for their business websites and client projects.
If one is still on the fence about using Cloudways as their managed WordPress host, then they must sign up for the 3-day free trial that Cloudways offers to test their platform. Cloudways cheapest managed WordPress hosting plan is 10.00 per month.
Considering that Cloudways acts as an intermediary between cloud hosting providers and end-users, it doesn’t have data centers as such. This strategy has given them access to more data center worldwide locations than most hosting companies can dream about.
At this moment this network covers over 60 locations scattered across the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Australia. What is more, rather than automatically assigning a data center to its users, Cloudways prompts them to choose the location themselves and make sure it’s as close to their target audience as they want it to be.
Cloudways’ official site emphasizes simplicity making the user experience as straightforward as it gets. In addition to the English language, the site is also available in German, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Although the site offers plenty of information about the services on offer, it is strangely secretive about the company itself. Nevertheless, it will lead one to Cloudways’ official blog which is full of helpful hints about the ways of the cloud.
- 24/7 Support & Live Chatt
- Flexible Hosting Plans
- Easy to upgrade your plan to VPS or dedicated server without having to move your website
- SSD-based hosting and built-in caches
- Team collaboration tools
- Includes several security features such as unique IPs, SSL, & SiteLock protection
- Hourly pay-as-you-go
- 100% uptime guarantee.
With a lot of pros, this hosting platform has few cons. They are as follows:
- No included CDN
- Doesn’t Include Email Hosting
- Complicated UI design
- Cloud hosting means one’s site is stored on multiple servers, compared to traditional hosting where their site is stored on one server (with a backup).
- Because one’s site is on multiple servers, it can be migrated easily in the case of any incidents.
- Cloud hosting improves uptime because one of the other servers in the network can take over if anything goes wrong.
- It’s usually faster than traditional hosting, the server can detect one’s customers’ location and transmit content from the server nearest to their customer.
- Many cloud hosts useSSDs (solid-state drives) to improve one’s site performance.
- In general, cloud hosts offer more security than traditional hosts. Cloudways uses a range of security techniques to process one’s WordPress site.
- Cloud servers can scale very quickly; this is ideal if one’s business site suddenly sees a spike in traffic.
- One have more control of their hosting bill with pay as they go pricing.
- SSD-based WordPress Hosting keeps the site fast with dedicated resources.
Cloudways is a platform-as-a-service and one can choose to host their WordPress site on a cloud server from DigitalOcean, Linode, Vultr, Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud Platform. Here below is an overview of their plans (using DigitalOcean’s cloud servers) and the current price list.
- If one is moving hosts, Cloudways will take care of one’s site migration.
- The Cloudways CDN improves server speed. Faster site speeds are especially important for online stores.
- The auto-healing feature resolves any issues, lowering the risk of one’s site crashing.
- WordPress is the world’s most popular content management system, as a result, it’s a target for hackers. Cloudways uses a dedicated firewall to secure the site.
- Built-in Let’s Encrypt SSL secures communication between one’s site and their customers.
- Two-factor authentication offers an extra layer of security against attackers.
- One-click installation for apps.
- Easy set-up for new sites – deploy a new site on one’s server with a single click.
- Access to 24/7 expert support.
- Digital Ocean
- Google Compute Engine
- Amazon Web Services
Given that Cloudways’ platform is built on “best-of-breed” infrastructure, as well as the sheer number of worldwide data centers Cloudways has on the offer, speed should be the least of its concerns. In addition to this, a speed test via GTmetrix performed on the official site shows pretty promising results.
The loading speed (which was 5.3 seconds), and all other core speed measuring metrics (largest contentful paint, total blocking time, and cumulative layout shift) were well above the average leading to an A (91%) as a final GTmetrix grade.
Nevertheless, after monitoring the uptime of Cloudways’ official site for two weeks (via UptimeRobot), we failed to detect any downtime at all, but more than a few oscillations in response speed. However, since users won’t be dealing directly with Cloudways in terms of hosting, these results shed too little light on the overall performance.
Cloudways has teamed up with cloud computing colossuses like AWS, Google Cloud, and DigitalOcean to offer completely managed cloud services that will give its users full flexibility, powerful performance, and all the support they need to get online projects off the ground.
Although Cloudways is commendably novice-friendly for a cloud hosting provider, it isn’t the best choice for casual users that are looking for simple hosting solutions and services.